Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Wednesday 7 March 2018

It's a finish

Yellow fabric
Black fabric
Retro tea towel
 The tea towel had only enough fabric for the front and back
with a tiny bit left over
so the sides and bottom I made in plain black
 The yellow I used for the inner bag
With a pretty pocket on the back
 The handles were just two strips of material
one black and a thinner yellow
 Inside I made a huge pocket for my file and book
plus a pencil pocket
 Tea bags fit in pocket
plenty of room in middle for everything else
 The straps are long enough to be a shoulder bag
 Another tea towel, with material from my stash
next project ?
Two things dictated the size of this bag, my A4 file and the size of the tea towel, I only had one, purchased in a pack of ten for £5.99, with fabric from my stash, and coloured threads I already had.
I cut the retro patterned tea towel first, making it as long as I could, two pieces for the front and back, I then cut 2 yellow pieces the same size.
I cut 1 black and 1 yellow long wide band for the sides and bottom.
I cut another black and yellow long thin band for the handles. I folded the sides together and ironed each band and then pinned the yellow on top of the black, stitching with yellow thread on the top and black underneath. I would have preferred to had the retro fabric for handles, but I did not want to buy another pack of tea towels for for 1 piece of material.
I then added the pockets to the yellow inner, the big pocket for my folder goes to the bottom of the bag.
Next I stitched the black sides to the front and back of the bag. I then stitched the bottom, making the outer. Then I made the yellow inner in the same way.
I pinned the handles to the outer, measuring to ensure they were central, I placed the inner inside folded the top and stitched both bags together. I prefer to make a bag with an inner, it's much neater inside and the second fabric gives the bag loads of extra strength.
I really enjoy making these simple bags, it was a fun afternoon, and now I have everything together for my next class.
My daughter tells me yellow is in this year, plus retro, so for once I'm on trend.

10 comments:

  1. I love the fabric its really jolly and such a great idea to make it the size to suit the purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous, love the retro fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great, pretty and functional all in one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your new bag, and Yayy you for being on trend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to take issue with you Marlene πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

    You commented on my blog how clever I was with fabric, but it is YOU who are the clever one. All I do is make things which are flat, my occasional forays into three dimensions never turn out very well . . . Your bag is so clever, I am looking foward to seeing the next one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A useful bag and lovely to be On Trend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab bag Marlene. Enjoy using it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful idea for the towel. There are so many cute projects out there for using vintage ones, I've made a little "idea file". Good for yoi for finishing so many things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That tea towel was a lovely find. Great bag.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so clever with the sewing machine, its fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails